Thursday, April 14, 2011

Jambalaya

First of I wasn’t even sure if this recipe will turn out yummy and good. At the end, yes it was. I was pleased with the result and overall taste. I got thumps up from my husband and my baby. Yes, my daughter loves it. She actually eats it. When you hear a jambalaya recipe, first thing comes up in your mind is spicy. Yes indeed, it is suppose to be spicy but I used way less the hot sauce than what is says how much in the ingredients. I could not eat much spicy food now and not even 6 weeks since my surgery. My body is not accustom to some foods now. I mean, less spicy foods, less fat meat, more on lean meat, vegetables and fruits.


The dinner? It was delicious. I will definitely going to make it again in my kitchen. It might be sounds like fattening but it is not by changing some of the ingredients. I used fat-free chicken broth instead of the regular, skinless chicken breast instead of just chicken with skin on and I cut the use of the French's French Fried Onion in more than half of what the ingredient says.


Jambalaya
Verdict: 3.5 out of 5

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 to 7 hours (LOW); 3 ½ to 4 hours (HIGH)

 
 
Ingredients:


2 ½ to 3 pounds chicken pieces, skinned if desired (I used all skinless chicken breast)
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (14.5 ounces) less fat chicken broth
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I just used half of the green pepper, don’t want to overwhelm with peppers)
2 cups French’s French Fried Onions (I just used 1 cup)
¼ cup Franks Red hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (I used 2 tablespoon only, I don’t want it to be too spicy hot)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons Old Bay seafood seasoning
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano leaves
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup uncooked regular rice (I used ½ cup of Jasmine rice only)



Directions:

1. Combine the chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, green pepper, ½ cup French’s French Fried Onions, Franks Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce, garlic, seafood seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper in CROCK-POT slow cooker. Cover and cook for LOW for 4 to 5 hours or HIGH for 2 to 2 ½ hours.

2. Stir in the rice. Cook on LOW for 2 hours or on HIGH for 1 hour or until rice is cooked and all liquid is absorbed.

3. Turn CROCK-POT slow cooker to HIGH. Add shrimp. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until shrimp are no longer pink. Arrange jambalaya on serving platter. Sprinkle with some remaining French Fried Onions.

Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...